World Sight Day, held on 12 October, 2023, is one of the most important days of the year for the eye health and vision care sector. It’s an international event that provides an opportunity to focus the world’s attention on the importance of good eye health and vision care.
This year we are focusing on the importance of eye care in the workplace – from encouraging employers to make eye health initiatives standard practice to the promoting eye health habits that will benefit the well-being, safety and productivity of millions of employees.
It’s an opportunity to motivate employers everywhere to implement change. From the work site to the office, we want to ensure that eye care is available, accessible and affordable to all.
#LoveYourEyes is about creating awareness that everyone, at some stage in life, will experience an eye health issue. Those of us who can access eye care should prioritise our eye health and support efforts to ensure that eye care is accessible, inclusive and affordable to everyone, everywhere.
We are calling on our members and supporters to join us to spread this message on October 12.
How to get involved
- Take a staff photo, and post on social media of you and your team wearing Heart Glasses
- Pledge to have a sight test before 12 October 2023 and share on social media to encourage others to do the same.
- Share an article in your organisation’s newsletter on how you prioritise your employee’s eye health.
- Organise eye tests with influencers in your sphere, somewhere photogenic.
- Use and share the social media tiles in the lead up and on World Sight Day, using the hashtags: #LoveYourEyes and #WorldSightDayAU – and tag us on Facebook @Vision2020Au
- Encourage your staff and supporters to #TakeThePledge – learn how here
- Make an appointment to have an eye test.
What else can your organisation do to support World Sight Day
Our colleagues at the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness have a range of toolkits and resources to support your efforts.
You can also promote the annual Photo Competition (opening July, 2023). Since 2015, the IAPB World Sight Day Photo Competition has highlighted the importance of eye health, by shining a light on the social and economic impact of vison loss, and to celebrate the tireless efforts of those who work to ensure healthy vision for all.