The Adult Referral Pathway for Blindness and Low Vision Services is the culmination of extensive work by Vision 2020 Australia and its members.
A working group was established comprising service providers, eye health professional bodies, patient organisations and peer support organisations to inform its design.
The Referral Pathway is designed to ensure that people who are newly diagnosed with vision impairment are connected to the supports and services they need to maintain their independence.
The Adult Referral Pathway aims to:
- Improve patient outcomes by connecting people to supports and services
- Enable a parallel care structure to increase patient support
- Provide clear referring guidelines for eye health professionals
- Link eye health professionals with service delivery organisations
- Empower patients to make informed decisions about supports and services.