July is the month to look after your sight!
SYDNEY: July 1 2016: For the first time in its nine year history, The Eye Surgeons’ Foundation, is asking Australians to donate $1 for every year of good sight they have enjoyed to fund vital research as part of its’ annual community awareness campaign, JulEYE. The Foundation funds these new projects through grants to the Ophthalmic Research Institute of Australia (ORIA), which supports vision researchers around the country.
The Eye Surgeons’ Foundation, (formerly known as The RANZCO Eye Foundation) is a national not-for-profit organisation and is recognised for its vital work in medical eye research and the development of sustainable international and domestic development programs that includes the Kimberley/Pilbara Diabetic Retinopathy Programs.
Jacinta Spurrett, CEO of The Eye Surgeons’ Foundation explains: “Since 2002 the Foundation has supported more than 200 eye research projects; raised more than $21.4 million for vision initiatives; helped more than 82,800 patients with sight-saving procedures across Asia Pacific, and screened and treated more than 6,000 diabetics across the Kimberley/Pilbara regions.”
“With 75% of Australians who are vision impaired not needing to be and the other 25% needing a cure, we have made it our goal to help create a future where no-one is blind. To achieve this we must continue to support world-class research, and invest in the future of eye health by working with visionaries in their field – the eye surgeons, researchers and academics – to help them create miracles, to give people the miracle of sight.”
Now more than ever the donation dollar is needed so we can continue to make a real difference by investing in the most brilliant minds in eye health. “We have already come so far but with the help of the wider Australian community, we can go further and achieve so much more,” says Jacinta Spurrett.
Kirk Pengilly, INXS band member and Ambassador for JulEYE is fronting the new look JulEYE campaign sharing his personal story in what is an earnest appeal in a Community Service Announcements being aired across TV and radio nationally; “When I was 27 I almost lost my sight to glaucoma. Had it not been for pioneering eye research and surgery my life would have been very different. We need to continue fund vital research to find new treatments and cures to prevent eye disease.”
The main eye diseases that cause vision loss are glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and cataracts. Regular eye tests are the most effective way of detecting changes and identifying problems early. Through research we can find a cure.
“JulEYE is about Australians thinking about and looking after their sight. As a community we have the power to save our sight and the sight of others - now and into the future - with a donation to fund vital research that will deliver profound and lasting outcomes in eye health. Help us create a future where no-one is blind,” urges Jacinta Spurrett.
To find out more information on eye disease or to donate $1 for every year you’ve enjoyed good sight to help end preventable blindness, visit www.juleye.com.au
For further information, interviews or images, please contact morey media at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on (02) 9929 9922.
About The Eye Surgeons’ Foundation
The Eye Surgeons' Foundation is the medical eye specialists’ foundation, dedicated to restoring sight and preventing vision loss throughout Australasia. The Eye Surgeons' Foundation is a not-for-profit eye health organisation which represents more than 900 Australian and New Zealand ophthalmologists who are passionate about giving future generations the best vision possible.